Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Subconscious Slowdown

When it comes to writing novels, I have an interesting problem. I'm sure other writers face this, too, but I've never heard anyone talk about it, or read any articles about it.

This is the one thing that slows down my writing the most.

I'll be going along with my writing, with scenes planned out and ready to go, when I have to stop for the moment or the day. When I come back to the scene, I feel as though I can't continue. It's not writer's block, per se, it's something in the back of my mind saying, "There's something not right with this scene." It usually takes my subconscious a few days before it tells me what's wrong. At that point, it's easy enough to figure out how to fix it, and then to go forward with the story.

Some writers will say it's their characters guiding them, wanting to go in a different direction. My issue may be the same, but the characters wait awhile to point out what's wrong.

Now that I've articulate this, maybe next time I can speed it up, like, "Hey, subconscious, why isn't this scene working?"

All right, that's my rant for the day. Time to go fix the scene that has been vexing me this last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment