Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Professional Musings

I love movies. I've always been fascinated by how special effects were done. I also love art, took art lessons as a kid, and always wanted to learn to draw well.

So why did I focus on writing instead? Why did I try so hard to make it as a fantasy writer? Yeah, I loved books, too, and I read some great fantasy novels that inspired me to try my hand at writing.

However, in hindsight, I got into movies more. If there was a program on about special effects, I had to see it?

Why in the world did it take me so long to pursue a career in movies? Here are some of the memes that kept me from even considering this as a possibility, and kept me a frustrated would be author for years.

1. Movies area a lower, less intelligent form of entertainment from books.

Why? Because it takes more work to become literate than it does to watch a movie? That part may be true, but movies and books are just two different media.

2. It's really tough to get a job in the movies.

It may be, but I'd wager it's much harder to become a successful author.

3. You can only be an artist if you have a talent for it, and that talent obvious from the beginning.

Being an artist requires many skills. Skills can be--must be--learned. I developed my skills as a writer, yet I didn't realize I could develop my skills as an artist.

And so, I focused on writing, which I never liked as much as the visual arts, because I thought that's all I was capable of.

At least I eventually figured out I wouldn't be artistically happy until I pursued what I really love. Plus, the writing practice helps, too. The skills of creating good prose, story analysis, story and character creation, are extremely useful. That's how I came up with "Bodacious Creed," after all.

I just wish I could reverse my age to about 20 years old, so I could have an extra 20 years to be an artist.

On a side note, here are some of my books. At least I was productive as a writer, just as I am as an artist!







No comments:

Post a Comment