I worked hard on Creed's hair this weekend. It was a lot of work. I ran into one big problem with it: after I had the hair done and liked it, I realized that the head was no longer rigged! NOT a fun situation. So, I had to decide, do I re-rig the head, or do I redo the hair?
The blog gets fairly technical right here, so read on if you like, or just scroll down to the images. I really wanted to show how the hair came out, since I'm pretty happy with it.
Fortunately, I frequently save, and I save incremental versions of my files. So I had a rigged head with the hairdo done, but without the beard, etc. It was actually pretty easy, though a little time consuming, to redo just the mustache, beard, eyebrows, and whiskers.
Of course, after that was all done, I found what might be a way to just transfer a finished hair style from one model to another. Yes, you may say it. "Facepalm." Well, something to use at another time!
I had problems crop up with the Creed and Anna Lynn Boyd full body models as well. I needed to do a bit of retopologizing on both models, and popped them over to Maya. I fixed the topology, then brought them back to zBrush. While the high rez details were reapplied just fine, the 3D layers were deleted. Fortunately, with Creed, it wasn't hard to redo them. With Anna, there was only one I needed to redo. The others were at a high detail level I don't really need yet, so I let them be.
With Anna, I kept getting mixed up on which was the current file, so I had to redo the clothes several times. I ended up with one file with the improved clothes, and one file with the body at a more finished level. So, I deleted the body from the clothes file, deleted the clothes from the body file, and put all the correct sub-tools back together.
The end result was that I got some good work done in some areas, and not enough work done in others.
I have a bunch I want to get done this week, even with Thanksgiving coming up. I'll write more about that as I get it done.